White Converse is shoes that look clean for about five minutes, and then they get dirty. If you’re a regular White Converse wearer like me then you know how easily they can get stained– but fret not! Check out some methods you can try below on how to clean white converse.
We’ve got quick and easy hacks that will bring your favorite shoes back to life!
Things you’ll need
- Dishwashing liquid
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Baking Soda
- Magic Eraser
- Washing Machine
White converse shoes brighten up even the darkest of days. However, they do not clean themselves, so here are six hacks that will help you keep those shoes pristine:
How to Clean White Converse Using Dish Washing Liquid
You can easily clean your white Converse sneaker with this item that you use to wash your dishes every day, using a dishwashing liquid.
- Simply start by taking off the laces and brushing off any loose dust and dirt across the exterior of the shoe.
- Then softly brush along all of the grooves and crannies on the rubber trim to get rid of any grime that’ been lurking within.
- Dip a clean brush into a little bit of dishwashing liquid. Gently scrub the entire shoe and outsole to remove dirt and stains.
- Rinse the shoe with clear water once you’re done.
- Dry and store the white Converse shoes somewhere that’s cool and dry, so they can dry quickly and won’t smell.
You can also stuff them with a paper towel to help them maintain their shape.
How to Clean White Converse Fabric
If you’re wondering how to clean white converse fabric because they can be from either canvas or leather. One of the best ways to clean them is simply using hydrogen peroxide for canvas and baking soda for leather fabric.
How to Clean White Converse with Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is an excellent ingredient for cleaning white converse in canvas fabric. It will gently get rid of dirt and stain off of the canvas fabric while lightening it. Here’s how to clean white converse with hydrogen peroxide properly:
- You can use regular strength hydrogen peroxide and dip a soft bristle toothbrush then scrub away until the dirt disappears.
- Rinse with a damp cloth under running water to remove any residue.
- Allow the shoes to air dry completely before storing.
How to Clean White Converse with Baking Soda
One of the easiest ways to clean your white Converse is to use a little vinegar and baking soda. This is most especially applicable for leather fabric Converse.
- First, create a paste by mixing a tablespoon of baking soda, white vinegar, and hot water.
- You can then start by filling up a basin with cold water and submerging your white Converse sneakers into it.
- Using an old toothbrush, apply the paste you made liberally on the shoes.
- Using a wet cloth, wipe all of the dirt out of the shoe. Then you can rinse the shoes off in warm water.
- The final step is to let them sit out to dry with a couple of towels stuffed inside to keep the shoes’ shape.
How to Clean White Converse with Toothpaste
Use Toothpaste! Yes, you read it right, the same toothpaste that you use to clean your pearly whites; you can also utilize to clean your white converse. Try this trick if you’re looking for a quick way to clean your favorite shoes:
- Get a soft bristle brush or a wet microfiber cloth (or paper towels).
- Squeeze a small amount of toothpaste onto the cloth or directly into your white converse and dab away the dirt. You can also brush the dirt off. (Note: avoid gel type toothpaste for this method)
- Rinse and dry afterward.
How to Clean White Converse with Bleach
Bleach can be a powerful cleaner, but it may be too strong to use alone. Mixing it with toothpaste and baking soda can create a gentle cleaning mixture that won’t cause any damage to your white converse — but will still remove dirt and stains.
- Combine with warm water half ml of liquid bleach, baking soda, and toothpaste to create a solution that you can use to clean your white Converse.
- Dip a cloth in the solution and apply it all over your shoes.
- Let it sit for just over an hour before rinsing with clean water.
- Finally, place it outside to dry.
How to Clean White Converse Fast
Have you tried using a magic eraser?
The fastest way to clean white converse is using a Magic Eraser. Easily wet the magic eraser and rub it in your white converse. Then the magic happens and not just the dirt disappears but stains as well if there’s any.
How to Clean White Converse without Bleach
Lemon juice is an excellent alternative to standard bleaches, as it has a brighter color and you can use it not just in cleaning white converse but for many different materials and surfaces too.
- Cut the lemon in half and use it for each shoe.
- Rub directly while squeezing the lemon juice into the white Converse.
- Leave on for 15-20 minutes, allowing the lemon juice to sit in the shoes’ fabric.
- Using cold water, rinse it off and air dry.
How to Clean White Converse without Baking Soda
Soap and water is the first thing you’d think of on how to clean white converse without baking soda. Using soap is always the go-to solution in cleaning almost anything.
- You can rub the soap to your white Converse or brush some soap and apply it to wet shoes.
- Then rinse with water to remove dirt and soap residue.
- Repeat the process until your white converse is sparkly clean.
- Put some white tissue or any paper towel inside to absorb moisture and leave to dry completely.
How to Clean White Converse without Vinegar
If you’re like me who easily gets marks on my white converse, then you can try using acetone or any nail polish remover you can find. I usually end up with stains on the top part and back of my shoes every time I’d wear washed jeans in dark blue ones.
That’s why this hack is perfect on how to clean white converse without vinegar.
- Wet cotton pads in acetone.
- Polish and rub it carefully on the dirty parts of your white converse.
- Then wash your shoes and dry.
You might not get the best result with this method but it’s your best option in tricky and dirty situations.
How to Clean White Converse in the Washer
If you don’t want the hassle of making cleaning pastes from scratch, you might want to try cleaning your white converse in the washer. It’s fast, easy and convenient.
- First, wrap your white Converse sneakers with a laundry bag or a piece of fabric.
- Then place the wrapped shoes in the washing machine along with some detergent.
- Run the machine on a standard cycle using cold water since warm water can make the shoes shrink.
- Get your shoes and opt to air dry them using the dryer. This is to avoid damaging your shoes.
This method however is not recommended if you have a very aggressive type of washer.
How to Clean the White Rubber on Converse
One of the most vulnerable parts of your sneaker is the rubber outsole and toe cap. The seconds you walk out the door, you can immediately get scuffs right on your shoe’s toes.
You’re in luck though because, though it is unavoidable, we’ve listed 3 options on how to clean the white rubber on Converse below.
Things you’ll need
- Magic Eraser
- All Purpose Cleaner
- Rubbing Alcohol
1. Using a Magic Eraser
Using a magic eraser like the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is the quickest and best answer on how to clean the white rubber on Converse.
- Rub the magic eraser on the white rubber on Converse.
- Repeat until the dirt vanishes completely.
3. Using All-Purpose Cleaner
Another simple way on how to clean white rubber on converse is a little all-purpose cleaner. It can go a long way toward keeping your white converse clean.
- Clean your shoes with a spray of all-purpose cleaner and a cloth. You can clean non-skid surfaces with a dry paper towel or tissue paper, and grooved ones with an old toothbrush.
- Rinse and dry once done.
3. Using Rubbing Alcohol
For the toughest stains and scuff marks on white rubber on Converse, use the tried-and-true method of rubbing alcohol.
- Dab a bit on a rag and rub slowly over the scuffs until they disappear.
- Wipe the entire shoe down afterward with a damp cloth or paper towel to remove all of the rubbing alcohol.
Overuse of this method can ruin the white rubber on Converse but you can use this to spot treat the dirty parts of the white rubber.
Check out the video below by Stephanie Calise and learn some more fantastic tips on how to clean white converse and how to clean the white rubber on converse.
How to Keep Your White Converse Clean
Cleaning your white sneakers is one of the most tedious tasks you’ll ever have to complete, but it’s worth it if it means keeping them in pristine condition. There are several methods that you can use to clean your white Converse, from DIY cleaning kits to professional cleaners.
Whichever method you choose, here are a few tips on how to keep your white Converse clean.
1. Check the Weather
Do you know what’s worse than muddy shoes? Muddy white Converse. They’re your favorite, so make sure you don’t wear them on rainy or snowy days. If you’re headed out for some errands or you’re going to work, bring an old pair of shoes instead.
2. Invest in Sneaker Protector
You can keep your white Converse spotless by using sneaker protectors. If you use the right kind of protector, it can even make cleaning easier. You might want to invest in a good brand so you can protect your white Converse from the moment you put them on to the moment you take them off again.
3. Clean as you go
After every use, whether it is from a quick walk or an intense daily grind, you should wipe and clean your white Converse with a wet cloth, toothbrush, or any other cleaning product. This practice will not only keep your sneakers looking their best but will also protect the shoe from unsightly marks and dirt.
4. Carry an Eraser
You don’t need to deep clean your white Converse shoes regularly. Using a standard pencil eraser, gently rub away any scuff marks you see on the soles of your shoes. Make sure not to use a pink eraser, though, because it will leave behind a pink mark, and no one wants that.
If you’re looking to clean your white Converse, I hope you find the best way from the methods outlined above. Be proactive so that you can reduce the need to spend time cleaning your shoes.
Be mindful of the kind of fabric that your white Converse has if it’s canvas or leather. Since different method works best for each fabric. Following these tips will ensure your Converse shoes look good as new.
I would love to hear which method fits for you, so remember to leave a comment below. Share this list of methods with your family and friends that owns a white Converse too.